LST-68 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 8 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Edna C. Crenshaw; and commissioned on 4 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-68 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain—December 1943; January and February 1944
(b) Admiralty Islands landings—March 1944
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Saidor occupation—January and February 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Biak Island operation—June 1944
(b) Noemfoor Island operation—July 1944
(c) Cape Sansapor operation—August 1944
(d) Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen landings on Luzon—January 1945
Consolidation of the southern Philippines:
(a) Visayan Islands landings—March 1945
LST-68 was decommissioned on 7 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. On 18 September 1947, she was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., for scrapping.
LST-68 earned seven battle stars for World War II service.