LST-66 was laid down on 14 August 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 16 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. A. C. Landwehr; and commissioned on 12 April 1943, Lt. Howard E. White, USCG, in command.
During World War II, LST-66 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain—December 1943, January and February 1944
(b) Admiralty Islands landing—February, March and April 1944
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Saidor occupation—January and February 1944
Hollandia operation—April and May 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operations—May 1944
(b) Biak Island operation—June 1944
(c) Noemfoor Island operation—July 1944
(d) Cape Sansapor operation—July and August 1944
(e) Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen landings on Luzon—January 1945
Consolidation of the southern Philippines:
(a) Mindanao Island landings—March 1945
(a) Balikpapan operation—July 1945
LST-66 was decommissioned on 26 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946. On 7 April 1948, she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.
LST-66 earned eight battle stars for World War II service as well as the Navy Unit Commendation.