Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-63

 

LST-63 was laid down on 6 August 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machinery Co.; launched on 19 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. W. H. Sweney; and commissioned in the Royal Navy on 15 March 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was returned by the United Kingdom on 17 December 1945, and she was struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. On 27 May 1948, she was sold to the Northern Metals Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., and converted to merchant service.