LST-61 was laid down on 24 June 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 8 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Corinne B. Redgrave; and commissioned on 5 February 1943,.Lt. Norris G. Murphy, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-61 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Sicilian occupation in July 1943 and the Normandy invasion in June 1944 She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operation:
Western Caroline Islands operation:
(a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
LST-61 was decommissioned on 5 June 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 2 June 1947, she was sold to the Southern Trading Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., and converted for merchant service. She was subsequently scrapped in 1960.
LST-61 earned three battle stars for World War II service.