LST-60 was laid down on 14 November 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 24 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Daniel W. Mack; and commissioned on 7 February 1944, Lt. Carl E. Ellis in command.
During World War II, LST-60 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 27 June 1946 and was named Atchison County (LST-60) after counties in Kansas and Missouri on 1 July 1955. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958.
Atchison County earned one battle star for World War II service as LST-60.