LST-59 was laid down on 7 November 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 18 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Richard A. Lewis; and commissioned on 31 January 1944, Lt. R. J. Mayer, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-59 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 21 January 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 25 February 1946. On 18 September 1947, she was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-59 earned one battle star for service in World War II.