Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-56

 

LST-56 was laid down on 17 October 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 27 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Robert G. Appleton; and commissioned on 10 January 1944, Lt. Raymond F. Willett in command.

 

During World War II, LST-56 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 23 May 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to the Ships & Power Equipment Corp., of Barber, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.