LST-55 was laid down on 10 October 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 20 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Stephen Washensky; and commissioned on 6 January 1944.
During World War II, LST-55 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 11 December 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946. On 26 March 1948, she was sold to the Ships & Power Equipment Corp., of Barber, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-55 earned one battle star for World War II service.