LST-54 was laid down on 3 October 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 13 November 1943; sponsored by Miss Wanda Oleksiak; and commissioned on 24 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-54 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 5 November 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 28 November 1945. On 22 March 1948, she was sold to the Townsend Transportation Co., of Bayonne, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-54 earned one battle star for World War II service.