LST-51 was laid down on 29 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 22 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Charles A. Ward; and commissioned on 8 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-51 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Invasion of southern France—August and September 1944
She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and supported the occupation of Okinawa during May and June 1945.
Following the war, LST-51 performed occupation duty in the Far East until March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 20 April 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa.
LST-51 earned three battle stars for World War II service.