A former Royal Navy name retained. Lady Prevost was the wife of Gen. Sir George Prevost, Commander-in-Chief of the British Armies along the Canadian-New York border in the War of 1812.
(Sch: t. 230; l. 83'; b. 21'; dph. 9'; cpl. 86; a. 1 9-pdr., 2 6-pdr., 10 12-pdr.)
Lady Prevost, a 13-gun schooner, was built by the British at Canadian Provisional Marine, Malden, Canada, in 1810 for service on the Great Lakes.
As part of the English training squadron on Lake Erie, the schooner served as a training school for Canadian seamen through 1812 in preparation for the coming campaign in which the British hoped to gain control of the Great Lakes and from them, invade the United States. Under command of Lt. James Buchan, RN, she was one of Capt. James Barclay’s squadron which engaged the American squadron under Capt. Oliver Hazard Perry off Put-in-Bay in the famous Battle of Lake Erie, 11 September 1813. In a gun duel first with schooners Somers, Tigress, Porcupine, and sloop Trippe, and then, as the tide of battle turned, with Perry’s flagship Niagara, Lady Prevost suffered damage to her masts and superstructure and, with the rest of her squadron, surrendered.
Taken prize and repaired, the schooner joined the American squadron on Lake Erie. Lady Prevost, in company with Niagara, Scorpion, and Trippe under command of Capt. Jesse D. Elliot, sailed into Lake Sinclair 29 September to cut the supply lines of the British Army attempting to invade western New York.
For the remainder of the War of 1812, the squadron operated on Lakes Erie and Huron, cooperating with the Army commanded by Gen. William Henry Harrison. She was primarily engaged in supporting American troops fighting the British and their Indian allies in the Northwest. Following the end of the war in 1815, Lady Prevost was burned and sunk by the Americans at Erie, Pa., but was raised later that year and converted into a merchantman. She was sold at public auction late in 1815.