Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lady of the Lake

 

In Arthurian legend, NimuŽ or Vivian, mistress of the enchanter Merlin, was called Lady of the Lake. It was she who gave the magic sword, Excalibur, to King Arthur, and to her it was returned by Sir Belvedere upon Arthurís death. Also, the central figure of the romantic epic of the same name by Sir Walter Scott.

 

II

 

In her last combat 5 October 1813, she assisted three other American ships in attacking and capturing British schooners Confiance, Hamilton, Mary, and cutter Drummond off False Ducks, Lake Ontario, and then for the remainder of the war carried dispatches between Sacketts Harbor and Niagara.

 

Following the end of the War of 1812, the little schooner was placed in ordinary at Sacketts Harbor and remained there until sold at public auction 2 February 1826.