Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

L. C. Richmond

 

A former name retained.

 

(Bark: t. 341; dr. 15)

 

L. C. Richmond, an old whaler, was purchased by the Navy at New Bedford, Mass., 25 October 1861 for the “Stone Fleet,” a group of ships sunk in the channels of inlets to several southern harbors to simplify the Union Navy’s task of blockading the Confederacy. L. C. Richmond, with M. Molloy as master, sailed from New Bedford 20 November 1861 and arrived off Savannah, Ga., 4 December. She was sunk to block the channel leading to that port.