Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

L-6

 

(88-45: dp. 456 (surf.), 524 (subm.); l. 165'; b. 14'9"; dr. 13'3"; s. 14 k. (surf.), 10.5 k. (subm.); cpl. 28; a. 1 3", 4 18" tt.; cl. L-5)

 

L-6 (SS-45)was laid down 27 May 1914 by Craig Shipbuilding Co., Long Beach, Calif.; launched 31 August 1916; sponsored by Mrs. William R. Monroe; and commissioned 7 December 1917, Lt. H. B. Berry in command.

 

After exercises along the west coast, L-6 departed Pacific waters 20 April 1918, arriving Charleston, S.C., 10 June. Following a brief overhaul, the submarine patrolled off Charleston until she sailed 15 October for the eastern Atlantic. Arriving Ponta Delgada, Azores, in early November, L-6 joined Submarine Division 6 just prior to the signing of the Armistice 11 November.

 

After making stops in Caribbean and Central American ports, L-6 arrived San Pedro, Calif., 14 February 1919, completing one of the best long-distance, seagoing performances of America’s youthful submarine force. From 1919 to 1922, she remained on the west coast, experimenting with new torpedoes and undersea detection equipment. L-6 was placed in commission in ordinary 24 March 1922; returned to full commission 1 July; and sailed for the east coast the same month. Upon arrival Hampton Roads, L-6 decommissioned 25 November 1922, and was sold to M. Samuel & Sons 21 December 1925 for scrapping.