The phonetic spelling of Coca, formerly an Indian village in southern Arizona.
Koka, a single turret, light draft monitor, was launched 18 May 1865, by Wilcox & Whiting, Camden, N. J. Completion of the ship was ordered suspended 17 June, and she was laid up at League Island Navy Yard, Philadelphia, without any active service. Renamed Argos 15 June 1869, she was again renamed Koka 10 August. She was broken up at Philadelphia 2 October 1874, by Harlan & Hollings-worth Co., Wilmington, Del., for use in the construction of Amphitrite (BM-2).
(AT-31: dp. 1,000; l. 156'8" ; b. 30'; dr. 14'7" ; s. 13 k.: cpl. 46; a. none ; cl. Bagaduce)
Originally designated as Oconee, AT-31 was renamed KoJca 24 February 1919; launched 11 July 1919, by the Puget Sound Navy Yard; and commissioned 18 February 1920, Lt. (j.g.) J. C. Bauman, Jr., in command.
Assigned to the llth Naval District, Koka sailed from Puget Sound to San Diego during March 1920. For almost 18 years she operated out of San Diego along the coast of southern California, performing various tug and target-towing services. While steaming off San Clemente Island, she ran aground 7 December 1937, and was officially decommissioned the same day. Declared unsalvageable, KoJca was abandoned as a wreck 22 January 1938. Her name was struck from the Navy List 2 March.