Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Knoxville

 

A major city in Tennessee.

 

(PF-64: dp. 1,430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 214; a. 3 3", 4 40mm., 9 20mm., 9 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. Tacoma; T. S2-S2-AQ1)

 

Knoxville (PF-64) was launched 10 July 1943 by the Leatham D. Smith Shipyard, Sturgeon Bay, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Cecelia Daniel; and commissioned 29 April 1944, Lt. Comdr. G. R. Reynolds, USCG, in command.

 

After shakedown out of Bermuda, Knoxville arrived Norfolk 16 November, and served briefly as a training ship. Clearing Norfolk 11 December, she escorted convoy UGS 63 to North Africa, arriving Oran 28 December. On her return voyage the patrol escort searched for enemy U-boats that plagued Allied shipping at the approaches to the Straits of Gibraltar and arrived Boston 20 January 1945.

 

During the early months of 1945, Knoxville escorted convoys across the submarine-infested Atlantic and occasionally she was dispatched for ASW search operations. Following her final escort cruise to the Azores, the patrol frigate arrived Philadelphia 1 June for conversion to a weather ship.

 

Knoxville cleared Philadelphia 17 June and two weeks later took position on air-sea rescue and weather stations off Newfoundland. For 10 months she operated from her post, flashing news of weather conditions to assist flight operations and ship movements in the western Atlantic. Upon completion of her tour Knoxville returned to Charleston, S.C., where she decommissioned 13 June 1946 and was sold 22 September 1947 to the Dominican Republic. Knoxville at present serves as Capitan General Santana (F-104).