A river in the state of Oregon.
(AOG-63: dp. 845; l. 220'6" ; b. 37'; dr. 13'11" ; s. 10 k.; a. 13", 2 40mm., 3 20mm.; cl. Mettawee; T. T1-M-A2)
Klaskanine (AOG-63) was laid down 24 April 1944 by the East Coast Shipyard Inc., Bayonne, N.J., under a Maritime Commission contract: launched 3 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas Harris; acquired by the Navy 26 February and commissioned 8 March 1945, Lt. R. O. Kostelak in command.
Klaskanine cleared New York 26 March; and, after shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, steamed to the Pacific, arriving San Diego 27 May. The small tanker loaded diesel oil and sailed for Pearl Harbor 4 days later. When her main engine broke down 6 June midway to her destination, she was towed to Pearl Harbor, arriving 14 June. Klaskanine operated as a shuttle tanker among the Hawaiian and mid-Pacific Islands through the summer.
After getting underway for Eniwetok 31 August, the oiler once again was stopped by engine failure before completing her cruise. Following repairs at Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor 21 September 1945 to 24 January 1946, Klaskanine put into San Francisco 7 February 1946 and decommissioned there 25 March 1946. She was returned to WSA the same day and later sold to Brazil. She at present serves the Brazilian Navy as Raza (G-19).