A. coastal city in southwestern Maine.
(PC-1201: dp. 295 ; l. 174'; b. 23'; dr. 8'; s. 20 k; cpl. 60; a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 3 20mm., 2 rkt, 2 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. PC-592)
PC-1201 was laid down 12 December 1942 by Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.Y.; launched 14 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. A. E. Bradbury and Commissioned 11 June, Lt. (j.g.) William W. Huffman in command.
After shakedown and sound training off Florida, PC-1201 was assigned to escort convoys in the Caribbean. Arriving Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 20 August 1943, she sailed 7 days later on her first escort cruise to Trinidad. Throughout the remaining months of World War II, PC-1201 continued the Guantanamo-Trinidad runs protecting supply laden convoys from evening U-boat attacks.
After the defeat of Nazi Germany, the sub chaser continued air-sea rescue operations out of Trinidad and Cuba until she sailed for New York via Puerto Rico and Norfolk, arriving Tompkinsville, Staten Island, N.Y., 21 June. PC-1201 decommissioned there 30 July 1946, then began duty as a Naval Reserve Training Ship. She operated in this status until 1950 when she joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Boston.
While berthed at Boston, PO-1201 was named Kittery 15 February 1956. She was sold 9 October 1959 to Hughes Brothers Inc., New York, N.Y.