Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Kittaton

 

A creek in Virginia named for an Indian word meaning "the great town or village."

 

(YTB-406: dp. 238; l. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 9'7" ; s. 12 k.; cpl. a. none; cl. Sassaba)

 

Kittaton (YTB-406) was laid down as YT-406; re-classified YTB^06 on 15 May 1944; launched 30 June 1944, by Ira Bushey & Sons, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y.; and placed in service 19 January 1945, Ens. T. J. Barfield in command.

 

Assigned to duty in the Pacific, Kittaton joined Task Force 16 at Pearl Harbor 21 May. Departing 2 days later, she steamed via Kwajalein and arrived Guam in June for towing operations out of Apra Harbor. Kittaton served at Guam and in the western Pacific until February 1947 when she was assigned to further duty with Service Force, Pacific Fleet. Reclassified YTM-406 in February 1962, Kittaton in 1967 remains on active service with the Pacific Fleet out of Subic, Philippines.