A bay of Lake Superior along the northern shore of the upper peninsula of Michigan.
(CVE-44: dp. 9,800; l. 495'8"; b. 69'6"; ew. 111'G"; dr. 26'; s. 18 k.; cpl. 890; a. 2 5"; 16 40mm., 27 20mm., 28 ac.; cl. Bogue; T. C3-S-A1)
Keweenaw (CVE-44) was laid down as ACV-44 under Maritime Commission contract by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash., 27 November 1942; launched 6 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. R. G. Risley; assigned to the United Kingdom 10 June 1943; reclassified CVE^4 on 15 July 1943; and transferred to the United Kingdom under lend-lease 22 October 1943. During the remainder of World War II, she served the Royal Navy as HMS Patroller and operated in the Atlantic on convoy escort and patrol duty. Arriving Norfolk, Va., 9 December 1946, she was returned to the U.S. Navy the same day. Her name was struck from the Navy List 7 February 1947, and she was sold to Waterman Steamship Corp. 26 August 1917.