A. county in South Carolina.
(APA-176; dp. 6,873; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5" 12 40mm., 10 20mm.; cl. Haskell; T. VC2-S-AP5)
Kershaw (APA-176) was launched 12 November 1944, by the Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland, Oreg.; sponsored by Miss Helen Molloy; and commissioned 2 December 1944, Comdr. A. G. Davenport in command.
After shakedown, Kershaw cleared San Francisco 7 February 1945, with nurses and naval personnel, arriving Guam 23 February. Moving to Saipan 27 February, the transport prepared for the invasion of the Ryutyus, the last enemy stronghold before Japan itself. During March she loaded equipment and troops of the 2d Marine Division; then, following amphibious exercises off Tinian, she sailed for the assault area 27 March.
The invasion got underway as the troops hit the beach at Okinawa 1 April. After troops from Kershaw landed on the southeastern shore of the island, the transport stood by for the next 10 days. She returned Saipan 14 April, remaining there until sailing for the Solomons 5 June. Following brief stops at Tulagi, Espiritu Santo, and Eniwetok, she arrived Guam 14 July.
Following a short overhaul period at San Francisco, the transport loaded cargo and troops to replace veterans in the occupation area. She cleared San Francisco 17 August and steamed into Tackoban, Leyte, 10 September. From there she ferried occupation troops to Honshu, Japan, before returning to San Pedro 19 October. On the third of four additional "Magic-Carpet" cruises to the Far East, Kershaw delivered equipment to Bikini for the atomic tests before sailing on to Samar to embark another 2,000 veterans for return to San Francisco 25 May. On her final cruise she took on units of the 2d Marines at Sasebo before transiting the Panama Canal and arriving Norfolk 8 August.
Kershaw remained at Portsmouth, Va., until she decommissioned 20 December 1946, and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Norfolk. Struck from the Navy List 1 October 1958, she joined the National Defense Reserve Fleet 19 December 1958 and at present is berthed in James River, Va.
Kershaw received one battle star for World War II service.