A former name retained.
(Str: dp. 3,350; l. 350'; b. 46'8"; dr. 23'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 84;a.l4")
Kerowlee, a cargo ship, was built by J. Readhead & Sons, South Shields, England, in 1901; taken over by the Army 1 December 1917 at Havre, France, from her owner, Kerr Navigation Corp., New York; acquired by the Navy and commissioned 17 October 1918 at Cardiff, Wales, Lt. Comdr. W. L. Strong, USNBF, in command.
Departing 3 November for Brest, France, Kerowlee operated between channel ports in England and France, carrying coal and military supplies. She was assigned to the Food Administration 11 April 1919 to carry foodstuffs between St. Nazaire, France, and Danzig, Germany. Transferred to USSB account 1 June, she departed St. Nazaire 8 July with a load of Army cargo for the United States. Arriving Norfolk 25 July, she decommissioned 11 August and the same day was returned to her owner by the USSB.