Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Kerkenna

 

A group of seven islands (often spelled Kerkennah) in the Gulf of Gabes belonging to Tunisia.

 

(Str: dp. 3,621; l. 380'7"; b. 45'7"; dr. 22'2"; s. 8 k.; cpl. 65; a. 2 3")

 

Kerkenna, a cargo ship, was built in 1900 as Borneo by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland; taken over by the Army 22 November 1917 from her owner, Kerr Navigation Corp., New York; and acquired and commissioned by the Navy 28 September 1918 at Brest, France, Lt. Comdr. A. F. Dahlstedt, USNRF, in command.

 

Attached to NOTS, Kerkenna carried coal and Army supplies between British and French ports. She departed Inverness, Scotland, 24 February 1919 with a cargo of mines and mine supplies for return to the United States. Reaching New York 19 March, she proceeded 2 days later to Norfolk, arriving 24 March. She then decommissioned 16 April, and was transferred to the USSB for immediate return to her owner.