Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Keresan

 

A family of Pueblo Indians living in the Rio Grande Valley in central New Mexico.

 

(Str: dp. 8,700; l. 380'6"; b. 50'1"; dr. 11'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 62; a. 1 6", 1 3")

 

Keresan, a cargo ship, was launched as Electra in 1912 by Pickersgill & Sons Ltd., Newcastle, England, and, subsequently, renamed Erodiade. She was taken over by the Navy from M. U. Martinolich Co. and commissioned 18 September 1918, Lt. Comdr. R. Douglas in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Keresan sailed from New York 1 October with a cargo of ammunition for U.S. forces in Europe. Following the Armistice of November 1918, Keresan returned to New York 13 December to prepare for a cruise to South America. She steamed to Buenos Aires in January 1919 with general cargo, and returned New York 5 June. Keresan decommissioned 26 June 1919 and was returned to her owner.