Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Kenosha

 

A county in Wisconsin.

 

_____________

 

Kenosha (ScStr) was renamed Plymouth (g.v.) on 15 May 1869.

 

 

(AK-190: dp. 7,450; l. 338'7"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 12k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3", 6 20mm.; cl. Alamosa)

 

Kenosha (AK-190) was launched 25 August 1944 by Walter Butler Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss Marion Crowley; acquired by the Navy 1 August 1945; and commissioned 7 September 1945, Lt. S. Bernsen in command.

 

After shakedown out of Galveston, Tex., Kenosha arrived Gulfport, Miss., 19 October to load cargo for the Marianas. The cargo ship departed Gulfport 25 November, cleared the Panama Canal, and arrived Guam via Pearl Harbor 10 January 1946. Upon discharging her cargo, she loaded cargo for the Marines and sailed for the East Coast, arriving Lynnhaven Roads, Va., 7 March. On 3 April Kenosha arrived Baltimore and decommissioned there 16 April 1946. She was returned to a Norwegian shipping firm in 1947, and renamed Rio Dale. She was renamed Torian in 1959.