Home of George Washington's sister Betty.
Kenmore (AP-62) was converted to a hospital ship and renamed Refuge (AH-11) (q.v.) 2 September 1943.
(AP-162: dp. 12,350; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 24'6"; s. 12.8 k.; cpl. 1,242; a. 1 5", 4 3", 8 20mm.; cl. Grater; T. EC2-S-C1)
Kenmore (AP-162) was launched as James H. McClintock 30 May 1943 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. T. J. Bluechel; renamed Ken-more 27 October 1943; acquired by the Navy and commissioned 14 November 1943, Lt. Comdr. O. H. Pitts, in command.
Kenmore loaded cargo and departed Oakland, Calif., 22 November, arriving Pearl Harbor 1 December. After repairs at Pearl Harbor, she prepared for the Marshall Islands invasion and departed Hawaii 25 January 1944. Nine days later she arrived off the shores of Majuro Atoll with troops and equipment of the attacking force. The cargo ship returned to Pearl Harbor 21 February to embark garrison troops for the Gilbert Islands, debarking them at Tarawa in March.
After shuttling troops between the Gilberts and Hawaii for the next 2 months, Kenmore departed Honolulu 29 May for Kwajalein, the staging area for the invasion of the Marianas. There she loaded troops of the 106th Infantry and arrived with the massive amphibious force in the assault area off Saipan 20 June. After a beachhead was secured, Kenmore remained in the area until 8 July unloading cargo and equipment. Throughout the summer she transported troops among the Marshalls, Marianas, and Hawaii.
Reclassified AK-221 on 20 August, Kenmore stood out of Honolulu 25 September with cargo and reinforcements for the Palau Islands via Eniwetok, arriving Kossal Roads 29 October. She continued supplying the Pacific Islands with men and equipment for the next 6 months. The cargo ship departed Ulithi 20 April with reinforcements needed for the Okinawa campaign, arriving there 6 days later.
In the closing days of the war, Kenmore shuttled troops between California and the Pacific Islands, insuring the already inevitable victory. When hostilities ended 15 August, Kenmore was assigned to "Magic-Carpet" duty. She made two cruises between the Islands, China, and San Francisco arriving with her final group 15 December. Kenmore remained in San Francisco and decommissioned there 1 February 1946. She was delivered to WSA the same day for return to her owner.
Kenmore received two battle stars for World War II service.