Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Katlian

 

An Eskimo chief of Sitka, Alaska, at the time of Russian colonization in 1804.

 

(YN-48: dp. 129; l. 93; b. 22'; dr. 8'; cl. Cockenoe)

 

Katlian (YN-48),formerly A. D. Canulette, was launched 1939 by Canulette Shipbuilding Co., Slidell, La.; purchased by the Navy 22 October 1940 from the Gulf Coast Towing Co.; and placed in service 19 December 1940. She was reclassified YNT-16 on 1 May 1942.

 

Following conversion at New Orleans, she sailed 31 December 1940 for Mare Island, arriving 7 March 1941 via Guantanamo and the Canal Zone. She was assigned to the 12th Naval District and served as a net-tender out of Mare Island throughout her naval service. Katlian was placed out of service 30 January 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 2 June 1947. Sold to R. J. Fenzl in 1948, she served as a tug under the name Captain Rudy and subsequently named A. D. Canulette and Ethel McDermott.