A former name retained.
(SP-148:112; l.40'; b. 10'; dr. 4'; s. 9 k.; a. none)
Kathrich II, a motor boat, was built by E. S. Thibault of Jacksonville, Fla., in 1913 and acquired by the Navy from her owner, Richard B. Marks, of Jacksonville, Fla. She enrolled in the Naval Coast Defense Reserve 20 April 1917 and was taken over by the Navy 8 May. Kathrich II commissioned 9 May at Charleston, S.C., Boatswain's Mate Second Class Robert Fisher, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the 6th Naval District, Kathrich II operated as a section patrol ship in Savannah, Ga., harbor, boarding and inspecting ships and sealing radios. On 5 February 1919 she was assigned to NOTS for duty as a dispatch and radio inspection ship in Savannah harbor. Placed out of commission 6 February, Kathrich II remained with NOTS until 4 September when she was turned over to the Coast Guard for use in communications work.