A bay off the coast of Hawaii.
(IX-71: dp. 1,411; l. 189'9"; b. 30'; dr. 15'9"; s. 9.8 k; cpl. 61; a. 13", 4.50 cal. mg., 2 dct.)
Kailua (IX-71), formerly Dickenson, was launched in 1923 by the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Pa.; acquired by the Navy 19 May 1942 on a bare-boat basis and commissioned 5 May 1943, Lt. C. R. Bower in command.
Kailua departed Pearl Harbor 15 May 1943 to join the Service Force of the 7th Fleet. Upon her arrival at Pago Pago, Samoa, 25 May, she immediately commenced operations as an auxiliary in the Pacific islands. During June she arrived Milne Bay, New Guinea, and for the next year remained there laying cables, ASW nets, and buoys. Kailua arrived Pearl Harbor 4 July 1944 and performed similar services there for the rest of the war. Kailua decommissioned at Pearl Harbor 29 October 1945 and was later sunk intentionally.