The first Justin retained a former name, and the second Justin was named after the first.
(IX-228: dp. 3,381; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 27'11"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 210; a. 13", 1 5", 3 20mm.; T. EC2-S-C1)
The second Justin (IX-228), formerly liberty ship Gus W. Darnell, was built by Todd-Houston Shipbuilding Corp., Houston, Tex., in 1944; operated as a cargo ship in the Pacific; was acquired by the Navy 2 September 1945; and commissioned at Guiuan Roadstead, Philippine Islands 4 September 1945, Lt. William T. Hamilton in command.
Justin departed for Shanghai, China, 20 October where she embarked naval passengers for transport to the United States. She picked up a cargo of 3,000 bags of mail at Guam before arriving San Francisco 23 December 1945. Justin decommissioned at San Francisco 23 January 1946 and was turned over to the WSA. She was placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif., until being sold 25 May 1954 to Boston Metals Corp. and scrapped.