Junaluska, Chief of the Cherokee Indians in North Carolina, led his warriors in support of General Andrew Jackson during the Creek Indian War of 1813. For this service Junaluska was granted United States citizenship.
(YT-176: dp. 206; l. 102'; b. 25'; dr. 10'; s. 12 k.; a. 2 30 cal. mg.)
Junaluska (YT-176) was built by the Gulfport Boiler & Welding Co., Port Arthur, Tex., in 1941 as Gulfport Hull 189; acquired by the Navy from the General Motors Corp. 4 June 1941; and commissioned at Port Arthur, Tex., 23 October, Ens. D. A. Tufts in command.
Junaluska, sailing from Port Arthur 3 November for the Atlantic coast and via Key West arrived Hampton Roads, Va., 23 November, and reported for duty with the Atlantic Fleet. Three days later she departed for the Naval Operating Base, Argentia, Newfoundland. Steaming via Boston, she arrived Argentia 16 December. She immediately commenced duty as a yard tug, assisting destroyers, escort ships, and merchantmen to and from the harbor as they departed or returned from the busy North Atlantic convoy routes. She towed targets during air and naval gunnery practice and tended the ASW defense nets that protected Placentia Bay.
Except for a visit to Portsmouth, N.H., and Boston for repairs from 21 October to 10 December 1942, she served at Argentia throughout World War II. She was reclassified as YTB-176 on 15 May 1944. After the cessation of hostilities, Junaluska subsequently returned to Boston where she decommissioned 30 September 1947 and was placed in service assisting ships of the Navy to and from Boston Harbor. Reclassified YTM-176 on 1 February 1962, the tug continues to perform this necessary duty into 1967.