Julius A. Raven
Julius Arthur Raven was 'born in New York City 6 January 1918. He enlisted In the United States Naval Reserve as Seaman Second Class 5 June 1939 at New York. He was discharged and accepted an appointment as Aviation Cadet 5 September 1939. After preliminary flight training at the Naval Reserve Aviation Base, Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn, he was assigned advanced training at Pensacola, Fla. After flight school Raven was assigned to a patrol squadron in the Pacific. He was awarded the Air Medal for meritorious achievement and extreme courage while effecting a rescue at sea 25 June 1942. While returning from a combat mission and flying over enemy controlled waters, he sighted grounded S-27 (SS-132). Disregarding the danger to his life, Lt. (j.g.) Raven skillfully and coolly landed in a rough sea, embarked 13 of the submarine's crew, and took off—all without damage to his plane—to safely return them to Dutch Harbor. All of the men of S-21 were later rescued due to the intelligence provided by Lt. (j.g.) Raven. He posthumously received the Distinguished Flying Cross for action against enemy forces during the Aleutian Islands Campaign, conducting dangerous reconnaissance and bombing runs on Kiska Island until being lost at sea while on a mission 9 August 1942.
(APD-110: dp. 1,650; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 12'7"; s. 23 k.; cpl. 204; a. 1 5", 6 40mm., 6 20mm., 2 dct.; cl. Crosley)
Julius A. Raven (APD-110) was laid down as DE-600 on 26 January 1944 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Hingham, Mass.; launched 3 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Irene E. Raven, widow of Lt. (j.g.) Raven; reclassified APD-110, 17 July 1944; and commissioned 28 June 1945, Comdr. William J. Barney, Jr., USNR, in command.
After shakedown training in the Caribbean, Julius A. Raven served as a training ship at Miami for student officers until she decommissioned 31 May 1946 at Green Cove Springs, Fla., joining the Reserve Fleet. In July 1959 she joined the Texas Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet, where she remained until struck from the Navy List 15 January 1966 after transfer on loan as Ung Po (APD-83) to the Republic of Korea 13 January 1966 under the Military Assistance Program.