Former name retained.
(Str: dp. 16,533; l. 456'6"; b. 57'2"; dr. 31'6"; s. 14 k; cpl. 70; a. 14", 13")
Julia Luckenbach, a cargo ship, was built 1917 by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass, for the Luckenbach S.S. Co.; she was taken over by the Navy 7 August 1918, and commissioned 15 August, Lt. Cmdr. George C. Benner, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Julia Luckenbach sailed from New York 10 September with vital cargo for the European forces, arriving Marseilles 2 weeks later. After the Armstice was signed 11 November 1918, she continued transporting cargo to France while returning to the United States with troops, patients, and other veterans who had fought well to make "the world safe for democracy." Julia Luckenbach arrived in New York from her final cruise in July 1919 and remained there until she decommissioned 9 September 1919. She was returned to her owners the same day.