A former name retained.
(t. 1,340; l. 229'; b. 39'2"; dr. 20'8"; cpl. 7)
Josephus was built in 1876 by E. Haggett, of Newcastle, Maine, and purchased by the Navy from Luckenbach Steamship Co., 18 October 1917. She commissioned 8 November 1917 and immediately began collier duties in the 3d Naval District. She was assigned to NOTS 8 August 1918 and operated with the coastwise collier service from Norfolk to New England ports.
Josephus was detached from NOTS 27 March 1919 to take up peacetime collier duties in the 5th Naval District. She was stricken from the Navy List 13 June 1919 and sold to the Neptune Line 11 September 1919.