Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Jolly Roger

 

A. former name retained.

 

(SP-1031: l. 55'2"; b. 9'9"; dr. 3'; s. 20 k.; a. 1 1-pdr., 1 ing.)

 

Jolly Roger (SP-1031), a wooden motor boat, was built in 1917 by W. T. Kuddock, New York City, and was taken over at Newport from her owner, J. S. Van Allen, New York City, on 16 December 1917.

 

Jolly \Roger was assigned to the Torpedo Station, Newport, and performed valuable work ranging torpedoes, as well as aiding in experimental work on mines and depth charges. The boat also engaged in general dispatch and supply work in the harbor area. While being loaded on board Kanawha 6 November 1918, Jolly Roger was damaged beyond repair and was struck from the Navy List 4 April 1919.