John M. Connelly
Former name retained.
(AK: dp. 10,150; l. 380'; b. 50'9"; dr. 24'5"; s. 11 k.; a. 1 6", 1 6-pdr.)
John M. Connelly was launched 9 November 1917 by Pennsylvania Shipbuilding Co., Gloucester, N.J.; delivered to the Navy 5 May 1918; and commissioned 9 May 1918, Lt. Comdr. E. W. Sundstrom, USNRF, in command.
John M. Connelly departed Philadelphia 14 May in a convoy steaming toward Gilbraltar, to replenish depleted supplies in the Mediterranean. After returning to Philadelphia in mid-July, the tanker made three additional cruises to English ports, transporting much-needed gasoline and oil. She returned to Philadelphia from her final passage 27 December, and decommissioned there 18 January 1919. John M. Connelly was returned to the USSB the same day.