John L. Lawrence
A former name retained.
(SP-838:1.150; l. 157'8"; b. 21'2"; dr. 10'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 23; a. 2 1-pdrs.)
John L. Lawrence, built in 1877 at New London, Conn., was taken over by the Navy from Medhaden Products prior to 8 June 1917. She commissioned 29 June 1917 for duty as a section minesweeper, operated with the mine force of the 2d Naval District, and engaged in coastal patrol duties. John L. Lawrence remained in the 2d Naval District until 16 March 1919 when she arrived for duty at Key West, Fla. She was assigned to the 3d Submarine Division where she engaged in exercises and torpedo drills with growing submarine force.
During 1920 her classification was changed to YT-38, and she arrived Philadelphia 10 August of that year to commence operations with the submarine repair division. John L. Lawrence remained in Philadelphia for ten months before she decommissioned 22 June 1921, and was sold 3 October of that year.