A former name retained.
(SP-2377: t. 61; l. 76'; b. 19'; dr. 8'; s. 10 k.)
John G. Olsen (SP-2377), a steam tug. was built in 1916 by Hawley Miller, New Baltimore, N.Y., and acquired from her owners, Olsen Water & Towing Co., of New York, 16 April 1918. Her first commanding officer was Ens. G. Montague, USNRF.
Assigned duty in the 5th Naval District, John G. Olsen steamed from New York to Norfolk, arriving 23 April via the inland route. There she took up duty as a tug and general purpose harbor ship in Hampton Roads for Naval Overseas Transportation Service, a vital organization in the transport of men and material to France. After the Armistice, she served at Indian Head, Md., before being returned to her owners 28 August 1919.