Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Jet

 

That which spurts out; a gushing flow.

 

(PYc-20: dp. 386; l. 160'; b. 24'6"; s. 15 k.; a. 1 3")

 

Jet (PYc-20), formerly Thalia, was launched in 1930 by the Defoe Boat & Motor Works, Bay City, Mich.; acquired by the Navy 27 January 1942 and converted to a coastal patrol yacht; and commissioned 4 April 1942, Lt. D. C. Paul in command.

 

After fitting out, Jet departed Miami 17 April for duty with the Pacific Fleet, arriving San Diego 9 May. After repairs at San Diego, she arrived Pearl Harbor 29 June for patrol duty. Jet continued her patrol duties until 3 June 1943 when she began a series of escort voyages between Hawaii and Midway Island. During January 1944 she served as a weather station ship before resuming patrol and escort duties. She arrived Midway Island 6 January 1945 and remained on station until 7 May when she returned to Pearl Harbor. Jet participated with Thresher (SS-200) in a submarine exercise in late May and then commenced local operations out of Hawaii. She departed Pearl Harbor 11 July, arriving San Francisco the 25th, and decommissioned there 27 August 1945. She was returned to the Maritime Commission 20 September 1947.