Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Jennings County

 

A county in Indiana.

 

(LST-846: dp. 1,625; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 266; a. 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST-542)

 

LST-846 was laid down by American Bridge Co., Am-bridge, Pa.. 27 October 1944; launched 12 December; sponsored by Mrs. L. P. Quill; and commissioned 9 January 1945.

 

After shakedown off Florida, LST-846 loaded cargo at New Orleans, then sailed for the Pacific in mid-February. Steaming via the Panama Canal and San Francisco, she reached Pearl Harbor 27 March. For the next 6 weeks, the landing ship operated in the Hawaiian Islands before departing for Seattle 12 May.

 

Following repairs, LST-846 received oil, gasoline, and mechanized equipment for transport to the western Pacific. On 9 June she was underway, arriving Guam 11 July. For the rest of the war she supported American forces in the Marshalls and Okinawa. After the Japanese acceptance of Allied peace terms, LST-846 transported occupation forces and equipment between Japan and the Marianas. She sailed for the United States 3 November, arriving Seattle in early December.

 

Returning to the Far East 5 months later, she arrived Shanghai, China 28 May 1946 and commenced cargo runs among Chinese ports. From 1946 to 1949, LST-846 continued these operations and in addition shuttled cargo between China and the Marianas. After the Communist takeover of Mainland China, the veteran landing ship returned to the United States, arriving San Diego 17 June 1949. LST-846 decommissioned at Astoria, Oregon 14 October 1949.

 

When Communist aggression in Korea shattered the stability and peace of Asia, the United States acted to halt the advance. To aid in the movement of men and equipment, LST-846 recommissioned 3 November 1950, Lt. Marion V. Reeder in command. After amphibious training along the West Coast she departed San Diego, 16 April 1951 for duty in the Western Pacific. Arriving Yokosuka early June, the landing ship operated out of Japan performing cargo runs and amphibious training until 6 September when she sailed for the east coast of Korea. After two cruises from Japan to Korea, LST-846 sailed 5 November for a stateside overhaul.

 

She was back in the Far East 5 June 1952, then resumed cargo operations in Japan for the remainder of the year. Returning San Diego 29 March 1953, LST-846 served off the West Coast until 27 January 1954 when she sailed for another Westpac tour. During the late summer LST-846 transported French troops and vehicles along the Indochina coast, following the end of the Indochinese War. She also performed station ship duties during the "Passage to Freedom" Operation, as naval units transported thousands of Vietnamese who chose a free form of government during the partition of their country.

 

Departing Yokosuka 12 October, the veteran landing ship arriving San Diego 4 weeks later. Following amphibious exercises along the West Coast, she steamed to Astoria, Oreg., arriving 9 April 1955 for overhaul. LST-846 was named Jennings County 1 July and decommissioned at San Diego 7 December 1955.

 

After 10 years with the Pacific Reserve Fleet, Jennings County recommissioned 11 June 1966, to support U.S. forces giving assistance to South Vietnam in their struggle against Communist aggression.

 

Jennings County departed San Diego 11 September, arriving Chu Lai, Vietnam 11 November. For the remainder of 1966 she conducted river patrols and in 1967 she continued her patrols supporting "Game Warden" operations.

 

LST-846 received one battle star for the Korean conflict.