A former name retained.
(NOTS: t. 3,125; l. 328'; b. 42'6"; dr. 21'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 84; a. 23")
Jean, a depot collier, was built in 1909 by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Newport News, Va., and taken over by the Army at Newport News, in September 1917 under charter from her owner, A. H. Bull Steamship Co., of New York. On 30 August 1918 the USSB assumed control under Army account. She was commissioned by the Navy the same day Lt. Comdr. Daniel A. Sullivan, in command.
Assigned to the 5th Naval District, Jean operated on bare boat charter. She took aboard 2,181 tons of general cargo at Norfolk and departed 30 September for Sydney, Nova Scotia, to join an Atlantic convey of American and British ships which departed 7 October for Bordeaux, France. Diverted to Brest, France, she arrived 21 October with precious supplies for war-ravaged Europe. Steaming from Brest the 22d, Jean visited the ports of La Pallice, Bordeaux, and Verdon. She sailed out of Verdon harbor 3 November and arrived Newport News the 24.
She refueled, loaded 3,164 tons of cargo, and sailed 30 December for Rio de Janeiro via Barbados. She arrived 27 January 1919, exchanged her cargo of coal for coffee beans, and departed for New York via Santos, Brazil. She arrived New York 20 March and discharged her cargo. Jean decommissioned 15 April at Hoboken, N.J., and was returned to her original owner through the USSB.