Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Jasmine

 

A genus of shrubs of the olive family noted for their fragrant blossoms; the State flower of South Carolina.

 

(ScStr: t. 120; l. 79'; b. 18'3"; dr. 7'6"; cpl. 19; a. 1 20-pdr. P.r., 112-pdr. how.)

 

Jasmine, a wooden tug, was purchased at New York under the name Peter B. Van Houten from Palmer, Crary, & John Reid, 29 May 1863; and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 17 June, Acting Master A. L. B. Zerega in command.

 

Jasmine was assigned to the West Gulf Blockading Squadron and sailed for the Gulf of Mexico 21 June. On 14 July she captured sloop Relampago with an assorted cargo, including supplies of critical copper boiler tubing, and towed her to Key West. For the remainder of the war the tireless tug served as a supply and dispatch vessel maintaining communications between the various ships of the squadron. The end of the war found her in Pensacola, where she remained providing varied services while the squadron demobilized and the Navy resumed peacetime operations.

 

Jasmine sailed north early in 1866 and decommissioned at New York 12 May. She was sold to the Treasury Department 13 June 1866.