Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

James Monroe

 

Born in Westmoreland County, Va., 28 April 1758, James Monroe interrupted his education at William and Mary College in 1776 to join the Continental Army. He saw extensive action during the Revolutionary War receiving a wound at the battle of Trenton. In 1780 he began the study of law under Thomas Jefferson, then governor of Virginia, and 2 years later was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates to begin a legislative career which took him to the Confederation Congress and the United States Senate,

 

He served the executive branch as Minister to France, Spain, and Great Britain. He joined Robert R. Livingston in negotiations with the French government leading to the Louisiana Purchase. President Madison appointed him Secretary of State in 1811 and added the War-Department portfolio to his duties during the closing months of the War of 1812.

 

Elected fifth President of the United States in 1816, Monroe led the country during a period remembered as "The Era of Good Feeling." His administration witnessed the settlement of several long standing disputes with Great Britain, the acquisition of Florida, the Missouri Compromise, and the promulgation of the Monroe Doctrine.

 

At the end of his second term Monroe retired to his estate, "Oak Hill" and died 4 July 1831 while on a visit to New York.

 

(SSB(N)-622: dp. 7,250 (surf.), 8,250 (subm.); l. 425'; b. 33'; dr. 31'5"; s. over 20 k.; cpl. 140; a. 16 Pol. mis., 421" tt; cl. Lafayette)

 

James Monroe (SSB(N)-622) was launched 4 August 1962 by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Newport News, Va.; sponsored by Mrs. Roswell L. Gilpatric, wife of the deputy secretary of defense; and commissioned 7 December 1963, Comdr. William H. Sandford in command.

 

Following shakedown off Cape Kennedy, Fla., James Monroe spent the early months of 1964 in ballistic missile tests. She departed for her first patrol in June 1964, emphasizing the expanded peacekeeping role of Polaris submarines.

 

It is fitting that a submarine named for President Monroe belong to a modern United States peacekeeping force since his famous Monroe Doctrine is one of the cornerstones of American freedom. "The American continents..." he warned, "are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European power."

 

During the subsequent years James Monroe continued her patrols and stands ready as a powerful deterrent against Communist aggression.

 

On 17 January 1967 James Monroe completed her 12th deterrent patrol. She has operated from both of the European Polaris replenishment anchorages, maintaining her creed and motto of "Watchful Waiting." Her ability to remain on patrol station is limited only by the amount of food carried and the mental and physical endurance of her crew.

 

 

President James MonroeŚmessage to Congress 2 December 1823, later becoming the "Monroe Doctrine"