A former name retained.
(YFP-1: t. 4,843; l. 379'4"; b. 53'1"; b. 23'8")
Jacona, (YFP-1) was built in 1919 for the USSB by Todd Drydock & Construction Corp., Tacoma, Wash. She operated as a freighter until 1930 when she was converted to a non-self-propelled power barge by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Newport News, Va. Subsequently, the ship was owned by the New England Public Service Co., at Augusta, Maine, and the Public Service Co. of New Hampshire, and moored at Manchester. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission 17 March 1945, at Portsmouth, N.H., for use by the Army.
Jacona came under Navy jurisdiction in 1947 and was classified VFP-1, 31 December 1947. The craft was towed to the Pacific, and used at various advance bases and at Korean ports as an auxiliary power supply. She is capable of producing 20,000 kilowatts of power. Jacona has been on loan to the Army in the Pacific since 1947, continuing this service into 1967.