J. M. Guffey
A former name retained.
(Tkr: dp. 5,500; l. 292'2"; b. 40'2"; dr. 22'; s. 11 k.)
J. M. Guffey, a tanker, was launched in 1902 by the New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N.J.; taken over by the Navy on a bare boat basis; and commissioned 14 October 1918 at Invergorden, Scotland, Lt. Comdr. O. T. Nelson in command.
J. M. Guffey operated out of Invergorden replenishing the oil supplies until 24 January 1919 when she sailed for the United States. She remained in St. Johns, Newfoundland, for 6 weeks before arriving Philadelphia 14 April. She decommissioned there 17 June 1919, and was returned to her owner, the Gulf Refining Co., Pittsburgh, Pa.