(Bark: t. 888; l.153'; b. 35'; dr. 13'5"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 61; a. 4 32-pdrs.)
J. C. Kuhn was a wooden bark of two decks and three masts built at Portland, Conn., in 1859. She was purchased by the Navy at New York City from J. H. Brower & Co., 6 July 1861; and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 23 August, Acting Master Robert G. Lee in command.
The supply and coal vessel reported to the Gulf Blockading Squadron at Key West, Fla., 11 September bringing a cargo of coal, lumber, and whaleboats. Six days later she delivered coal and provisions to Union vessels off Fort Pickins, Fla., to begin her record of dependable service carrying fuel, food, lumber, and water to Union ships in the Gulf of Mexico and the lower Mississippi.
She arrived below Vicksburg 27 June 1862 loaded with coal for Flag Officer Farragut's ships the day before they daringly steamed under the Southern batteries there to join forces with Flag Officer Davis's Mississippi Flotilla, which had been fighting its way South along the river. She remained below Vicksburg supporting Comdr. Porter's Mortar Flotilla while Farragut operated above the Confederate stronghold until his ships had again run the gauntlet to rejoin Porter 15 July.
She then sailed down river with Farragut and resumed her duty of transporting supplies from Pensacola to ships stationed along the Gulf Coast. In the spring of 1864, J. C. Kuhn was ordered to Pensacola for service as ordnance and store ship, and she continued this duty until sailing for New York 20 January 1866. After arriving New York 14 February and discharging her stores, the veteran bark received badly needed repairs.
Restored and refurbished, J. C. Kuhn stood down to the Battery 7 April, and 3 days later was renamed Purveyor. As Purveyor, she supplied the European and South Atlantic Squadrons and served as a store ship before being sold at New York to P. H. Fay 7 July 1869.