Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

J. B. Walker

 

Former name retained.

 

(Bar: 2 t, 1,984; l. 247'; b. 42'2"; dr. 26'9"; cpl. 6)

 

J. B. Walker was launched in 1879 by E. O'Brien of Thomaston, Maine; purchased by the Navy from Luckenbach S.S. Co.; and commissioned 8 August 1918. She immediately began collier operations between Norfolk and New England. J. B. Walker continued this duty until 27 March 1919, when she was detached and assigned to the 5th Naval District for operations. She was sold 11 September 1919.