A former name retained. Isis was an Egyptian goddess who originated the arts and agriculture and symbolized fertility.
(ScStr: dp. 555; l. 199'; b. 24'9"; dr. 11'8"; s. 15 k.; cpl. 71)
Isis, a coastal survey ship, was launched 1902 at New-burgh, taken over by the Navy 24 September 1917 from the Coast and Geodetic Survey; commissioned 4 October 1917, Lt. Gilbert T. Rude in command.
After a minor overhaul, Isis commenced duty as flagship for Commander of Squadron 2 Cruiser Force, 13 November 1917, at Staten Island, N.Y. She served in that capacity until 14 June 1918, and remained in the New York area until December when she arrived at Norfolk. Following operations at Norfolk, she decommissioned there 30 April 1919 and was returned to the Coast and Geodetic Survey