Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Isanti

 

A former name retained.

 

(Str: dp. 12,000; l. 423'9"; b. 54'; dr. 24'2"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 70)

 

Isanti (No. 3423) was launched by Western Pipe & Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif., 2 June 1918. She was transferred to the Navy from New York & Puerto Rico S.S. Co., and commissioned 30 September 1918 at San Francisco, Lt. Comdr. J. K. Koughan, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Isanti immediately began loading cargo for transport to Europe. She departed San Pedro 10 October and arrived New York via Panama Canal 3 November. After loading more supplies, she sailed for France 22 November, arriving Cherbourg early in December to discharge the vital cargo. Her supply activity took her to various French ports. She returned to the United States 15 February 1919 and decommissioned 24 February. Isanti was transferred to USSB the same day for return to her owner. She operated under USSB until abandoned in 1930.