Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ipswich

 

A city in Massachusetts.

 

(PC-1186: dp. 295; l. 174'; b. 23'; dr. 8'; s. 19 k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 3", 140mm., 2 20mm., 2 rkt, 4 dcp., 2 dct.)

 

PO-1186 was laid down by the Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Jacksonville, Fla., 20 April 1943; launched 27 September; sponsored by Mrs. George Wharton; and commissioned 9 June 1944, Lt. (j.g.) Paul L. Adams in command.

 

After shakedown and ASW training off Miami, Fla., PC-1186 was assigned to convoy escort duty in the Atlantic. From August to December she performed escort, patrol, and reconnaissance duties from the coast of New England to Guantanamo, Cuba. Late in December 1944 she arrived Coco Solo, C.Z., for patrol and escort operations between the Panama Canal and Cuba.

 

PC-1186 continued these services for the remainder of World War II. After the war, she patrolled off the Canal Zone and performed training exercises with submarines until 7 May 1946 when she sailed for Charleston, S.C. The sub chaser decommissioned at New York 22 July 1940, and joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. While berthed at Boston, PC-1186 was named Ipswich 15 February 1956. Ipswich was struck from the Navy List 1 April 1959 and sold to Hughes Brothers, Inc., 16 September 1959.